Networks and Giesecke & Devrient (G&D) will team up at the Competitive Carriers Association’s 2016 Annual Convention to announce a partnership to offer advanced eSIM enablement and management services in the global market for device connectivity.
Gemalto has announced that it is the first data security provider to join the Cloud Foundry Foundation, home of the industry-standard multi-cloud platform. As a Cloud Foundry Foundation silver member, Gemalto will help Cloud Foundry developers and customers integrate the highest levels of security into applications built in the cloud. Gemalto will actively contribute to the development of Cloud Foundry, joining numerous other industry leaders, including EMC, HP, IBM, Pivotal, Rackspace, SAP and VMware.
Oberthur Technologies has entered into a licensing agreement with fingerprint software provider Precise Biometrics. The agreement will integrate Precise BioMatch Embedded, a leading fingerprint recognition solution, with OT’s multi-application embedded secure element (eSE), PEARL. The solution is designed to provide an additional layer of security to mobile, M2M and IoT devices via biometric authentication. With Precise Biometrics, OT will be able to support fingerprint identification across any device for connection, authentication and payments.
Following the inclusion of mobile payments performance and interoperability requirements in the latest EMVCo Specifications, FIME’s international network of laboratories is now accredited to confirm compliance of mobile devices.
The specifications address three main areas for mobile devices designed to perform mobile contactless transactions:
- Level 1 digital and analog testing to verify the RF signal and protocol exchanges between the mobile handset and the payment terminal.
- Interoperability testing to confirm the new handset will interact effectively with the established payments ecosystem.
- Performance testing to ensure the device’s command processing and transmission times are in line with industry benchmarks.
The SIMalliance membership, which represents approximately 88% of the global SIM market, has reported 2015 SIMalliance shipment volumes equalling 4.7 billion, reflecting a 0.3% increase on 2014 shipments. The estimated total available market in 2015 was 5.3 billion, compared to 5.2 billion in 2014, marking a 2% increase in total SIM shipments worldwide. Significant advances were reported by SIMalliance members in key markets and regions, notably, the Americas (+6%), Europe (+1%), India (+25%), Japan / Korea (+12.5%) and the Middle East & Africa (MEA) (+14%).
Total shipment figures, however, were impacted by a contraction within the Chinese market. This was caused by a number of factors:
- Exceptional demand for LTE cards in H2 14: In 2014, unusually high demand within China for cards to be utilised in LTE networks led to exceptionally large shipment volumes. Many of these were carried forward as 2015 stock;
- Regulation: In 2015, the Chinese government accelerated identity confirmation following the introduction of regulation in 2013 which mandates that SIM cards must be registered with genuine identities;
- The macro economic environment: In 2015, China reported its slowest growth in 25 years.
Gemalto announced that its mobile security solution, Ezio Mobile Software Development Kit (SDK), has achieved security certification from the well-recognized ANSSI (Agence Nationale de la Sécurité des Systèmes d'Information) governmental agency for network and information security. Ezio Mobile SDK acts as an extra layer of security and is a simple, comprehensive and cost effective mobile authentication tool to increase mobile financial applications security. It also enables banks to protect and secure their mobile banking and mobile payment services against malware and cyber-attacks through multi-factor authentication and advanced protection mechanisms.
FIME’s Greenlight test tool has been qualified by technical body EMVCo to deliver Level 1 mobile performance testing. The fully automated tool measures the payment transaction time between a smartphone and acceptance terminal. The tool is available to purchase for in-house testing and is used by FIME’s laboratories.
Guillaume Labendzki, Vice President – Marketing at FIME, comments: “Smartphone payment systems are gaining traction and it is vital that mobile phones operate as intended once live in the field as speed and interoperability will be key drivers for adoption. We ensure Greenlight is constantly updated with the latest industry requirements so that handset manufacturers can achieve the required certifications as quickly and efficiently as possible.”
Oberthur Technologies (OT), a leading global provider of embedded security software products, services and solutions announced a key partnership with Telefónica Spain for their migration to the new generation of SIM Over-The-Air (OTA) platform. In order to continuously leverage new technological developments, OT supports Telefónica Spain in upgrading their SIM OTA platforms to benefit from the latest standards and functionalities. The migration allows improvement in new service deployments such as:
- Maintaining accurate network settings at any time
- Deploying & activating new services on SIM cards with a short time-to-market on a massive scale after issuance
- Reaching 100% success rate of the OTA update operations
- Simplifying campaign management and reducing maintenance costs